Friday, May 6, 2011

blogging, take 2

It's become painfully obvious that I need to streamline my online presence. The Facebook Recipe page is going well (just over 200 followers) but using the Notes as a recipe book isn't really working well. It has been great for connecting with my students and for sharing other recipes elsewhere on the net. I am a complete novice on Flickr, I can see the attraction of photo sharing but I find the experience confusing and not very intuitive. Yet there are some wonderful communities sharing via Flickr and I hate to miss out on such a rich source of visual inspiration.

Which brings me back to Blogging. Such a steep learning curve; setting the tone, a purpose and then fine tuning a design. This all takes so long, which I feel bites into my precious sewing and crafting hours. Suppose that's why I've stuck with Facebook so far, there are no design decisions to make, just post your thoughts and in my case photos, the recipes and be done with it... And everything is there in one site: news feeds, friends and family, photos etc.
Well, I am determined to find a solution. Maybe post to Facebook, the blog and flickr all at once. Now there's a thought!

Things I've learnt thanks to Flickr: there are great file sharing sites that don't require you to fill in a million forms and sign up for endless spam. Scribd is fantastic for sharing a whole range of documents like PDF, Word, Excel.
Denyse Schmidt has released a new fabric range, reminiscent of her successful Flea Market Fancy line.
Reasons why I could never give up on Facebook: The wonderful friends and family; the environmental and social activism; music and video sharing. My vegetarian recipe page...

No comments: